Danae Matthews is a 20-something who writes for an on-line health company Women’s Health Base in San Francisco. She loves to run, cook, hang out with friends and is just starting out in this wonderful world of blogging!
Admittedly, being a product of the 21st century I would like to fancy myself a connoisseur of all channels of social media. If there is a popular blog, zine, phrase trending or Facebook page; I need to check it out. Much in the same way, when I have a question I take to these same mediums to find what my peers consider the most suitable answer. Ever since college and my inability to pay attention to a talking head in front of a classroom, YouTube has been near and dear to my heart. There is one YouTuber in particular who I have followed for quite some time and revered for her candor and ability to say what’s real- no frills and no apologies. But I was taken aback a week or so ago when I watched a video in which she was replying to her subscribers questions about dating. Here I thought she would put men in their place and tell them to get off their butts and start acting like real men, and instead she gave women a talking to.
The video went on for 7 minutes about how as women we expect too much out of men. We expect men to pay for everything, take us out for fabulous meals and basically in all situations roll out the red carpet for our fabulous asses. In her estimation women’s sights are set at a level where men are destined to fail.
Ummmmm. This is my problem. Not just with that video or with this YouTuber (because aside from that one video I love her to death and consistently watch everything she posts) my problem is this: have we given up? More so: have we given up this early? This YouTuber is not even 25-years-old yet and she has already taken a stance on relationships and dating that encourages women to be more excited about what they are getting and not focus on what they aren’t.
~Young love~
I completely disagree with this idea. I have experienced it first hand with so many of my friends, and myself, the need to be the “cool” girlfriend in attempt to not scare anyone away. You go ditch because you don’t want to seem high maintenance, you let his friends come along to everything because you want to prove you can be “one of the guys”, you don’t push the titles because “you’re taking it slow”…Trust me this is getting you nowhere. This kind of behavior may have worked for one girlfriend you knew once upon a time, but trust me that girlfriend aren’t you. If you’re high maintenance own that! If you want to be taken out, own it! I’m not saying be obnoxious or demanding- there is no need for five course dinners 7 days a week. The kind of man that you want to be with and who will want to be with you is going to want to take you out and show you off, not sit on the coach and play X-Box.
It may be an unpopular position I am taking with some, but show me a relationship where a woman isn’t being treated like a lady, but both partners are happy and I will show you a million dollars. We don’t need to give up the ideals and traditions that have been working for so long. Maybe if we let men act like men once in a while they’d stop acting like boys. Just a thought!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Thank You Danae for sharing your views of dating on my blog! Dating can be fun, unpleasant, tricky and energy draining. I don’t think many ladies out there spend time discovering the important things to catch and keep a great man. But what about finding a man that does care about you? A man that wants to spend time with you. A man that doesn't want the date to end. A man that feels a pang of jealousy when he sees you with anyone but him? Whatever the status of your dating life is enjoy it and have some fun!
Ladies please also check out Womens Health Base!!
I think its an awesome website that is now saved in my favorites!
”Health website especially for women, including information on diseases and conditions, diet and fitness, beauty, and sex and relationships.”
Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Meet Danae! Guest Blogger
Labels:
health and mind,
other blogs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment